Thursday, May 7, 2009

Starting My Morning Off Right!



For the past couple days I've really been wanting a breakfast burrito, which I haven't had in years.  As a vegan, I can't just run out to Jack In the Box (do they even have breakfast burritos on the menu?) and order one, so I decided to make it myself.  Today was the big day, and my vegan breakfast burrito turned out so good that I had to share the recipe with you.  As you can see from the picture, I made a lot, but there are two of us in the household.  So if it's just you, you may want to cut the recipe in half.  Here are my ingredients (obviously, they're all optional, and you can feel free to add whatever else you want):

1 - 1 lb. package of firm tofu
2 russet potatoes, cut into small chunks
1 green pepper, cut in little pieces
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 bulb of garlic, minced
1 can of black beans
1 can of diced, unsalted tomatoes
1/2 tsp. of turmeric
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
tortilla
vegan cheddar or nacho cheese 

While the potato chunks are boiling, combine the olive oil and green peppers in a large sauce pan and sautee.  After a couple minutes add the onion and garlic.  While the veggies cook down, crumble all of the tofu, and add it to the pan.  Next add the tumeric, salt, and pepper, and stir the mix together well.  Drain the cans of beans and tomatoes, then add to pan and stir.  The potatoes should be cooked by now--drain and combine with the rest of the mix.  Let everything cook on medium heat for a few more minutes to get it cooked down to your liking.  In the mean time, if you are choosing to use the vegan cheese, this is a good time to shred a bit onto a tortilla and heat it in the microwave for 15 seconds to get it soft.  The cheese will melt more once all the hot ingredients are put on top.  So, what are you waiting for?  Go and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Yum, Julie, that looks delish! I just made chili last night...I might have to consider making these this week and top them with chili...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegans are crazy, but this sounds delicious! I'll have to try making it soon... using real cheese of course.

    ReplyDelete