Thursday, November 19, 2009

Recent Kitchen Endeavors

Joe and I have this really great thing going, in my opinion at least, that on Sundays he cooks 5 or 6 dishes for us to eat throughout the week, and I clean.  I would rather clean a toilet than cook (or do laundry, while I'm being honest).  I'm just really lazy about the goings on of a kitchen, and Joe enjoys cooking, so it works.  And just for the record, I help with the dishes.  Anyway, this past Sunday he made paella.  It's the third or fourth time in the past year that he's made it, and I think it gets better and better every time.  He even bought a special fancy pants paella pan.  For those of you who know us, he obviously doesn't add any meat to it, but he does add (get this) HOMEMADE seitan.  What a guy!  Check it out, and if you want a recipe just let me know.





In addition to the paella, I've been meaning to post the apple pie we baked on November 9 in honor of Carl Sagan's birthday.  If you're not familiar with the famous quote, here it is:


If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. --Carl Sagan


Joe often says this quote, in Sagan's voice--it's priceless--so baking an apple pie only seemed appropriate.  Now, I do have to disclose that I've never really been an apple pie person.  I know, I know!!  I'm basically not a real American, but for not liking apple pie, I can definitely say that this one turned out damn good.  We had a goal of doing a lattice crust, and I'd say we succeeded.  Is your mouth watering?









1 comment: